Thursday, January 4, 2018

Restaurant Review - Weber's in Ann Arbor

One Word - Fabulous!
(for a quick review, scroll to the bottom)

January 1st was my sister's 35th birthday and for the first time ever, we went to a restaurant instead of my parents having a Birthday/New Year's Day Party at their house.  My Mom suggested Weber's Restaurant in Ann Arbor, MI.  It is one of the fanciest restaurants in the area.  We were not disappointed!

I would describe our event today as a fabulous gourmet experience.  Weber's Restaurant is definitely the place to go if you want fine dining.  The service was excellent.  The waitress was very attentive.  She removed used plates and unneeded utensils quickly and our water glasses never went empty.  She was exceedingly polite and didn't seem to mind my many questions regarding gluten-free items, even going back to the kitchen several times to ask the chef.

The bread basket was a big hit to everyone at the table except me (I have celiac disease). As usual, there were no gluten-free options in the basket.  There are also few options for gluten-free appetizers, something I see often.  I did take a taste of the smoked salmon pate and it was creamy and decadent with a strong smokey flavor.  The salads were well-covered with cranberries and slivers of almond.  My sister raved about her french onion soup and I think, had we not been at a fancy restaurant, she would have licked the bowl.

I ordered the Maple Leaf Farms roasted half duck (minus the cranberry glaze, which was not gluten-free) with mashed potatoes and pork belly braised kale.  It was deliciously flavorful.  The duck meat was moist and the skin was perfectly rendered so as to be crispy.  The notes of rosemary and a subtle sweetness rounded out the thin layer of duck fat and rich meat.  Creamy mashed potatoes with a hint of chive and kale braised in pork fat with bits of pork belly added to the flavor.  

My husband and aunt ordered the seafood linguine which was loaded with shrimp, scallops and salmon and topped with a white butter sauce.  My sister ordered medallions of tenderloin oscar with crabmeat, asparagus, hash browns and a hollandaise-type sauce.  My dad and my sister's boyfriend ordered sandwiches, a reuben and angus sliders respectively.  My mom had Lake Superior whitefish with crispy shrimp and a lemon butter sauce.  My 6 year old daughter ordered the hot dog with french fries, the hot dog was enormous!  No one had any complaints about their meals.


Dessert was what blew the meal out of the water.  My sister's birthday dessert plate is pictured above.  She ordered the banana bread pudding, highly recommended by the server and well deserved to be so as it was luxurious.  I was actually pleasantly surprised at the options for gluten-free desserts.  All of the desserts are made in-house, including the ice cream.  I had the most delicious snowball ever, with vanilla ice cream, toasted coconut, chocolate sauce, real whipped cream and a cherry on top (which my daughter stole).  My daughter ordered the trio of ice creams with one scoop vanilla, salted caramel and pear sorbet, which I helped her finish.  The chocolate lava cake with ice cream and heath crunch was a big hit and my aunt and husband didn't leave a crumb of their rich cheesecake. 

I have heard wonderful things about their buffet and the prime rib is supposed to be the best in town.  They are also well known for their seafood, including lobster thermidor.  I am looking forward to going back again.  Maybe a date night with my husband?

Quick Review
Price - High, you're definitely paying for the fine dining experience
Service - Excellent, helpful and friendly
Food - Fantastic, no disappointments, well seasoned and delicious
Kid Friendly - Medium, kid's menu and crayons
Gluten-free - Good, no separate menu but the server is good about checking with the kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Blog Post

We recently moved from the city to an 1880's farmhouse on 8 acres off of a two-lane dirt road.  My daughter turned 6 at the end of Novem...