Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Bat Rescues

This little baby bat slipped through a tiny crack in our attic access panel and was found at the base of our stairs.  In the picture, the bat is clinging to my thumb, that's how small it is.  I picked it up very carefully with thick leather gloves (don't try this at home!).  I put the little guy into a shoe box while I got a ladder and opened the panel.  Let me just tell you, it is NASTY up there!  There is spray insulation with spider webs, bugs, piles of guano and at least two dozen bats.  I found a couple babies huddled together near the opening so I got the baby out of the box and placed it with the other two.  I made sure to replace the panel so that there were no cracks for them to slip out.

This is a full grown bat that was at the base of a tree one morning.  I put the thick leather gloves on again and picked it up.  I examined it to make sure it wasn't injured and then placed it as high up the trunk of the tree as I could reach.  It hung out there all day and then the next day it was gone.  I'm hoping that it flew off in the night and went back home (into my attic, lol). 

We plan to close up the attic this Fall when all of the baby bats are able to fly.  The proper way to do it, I've heard, is to wait until evening, when they have all flown out and then seal up any areas where they are getting in.  I really don't like going up the tiny hole into the scary attic but it will have to be done so my husband and I will do it.  I'm sure that'll be in a blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Blog Post

We recently moved from the city to an 1880's farmhouse on 8 acres off of a two-lane dirt road.  My daughter turned 6 at the end of Novem...